Chub is a very simple fish to catch and while cheap selling, it can be used for several different uses. Whether it be making a Fishing Vest or catching one for the community center bundle, chubs make up an important part of every early game of Stardew Valley.
Table of Contents
Where to Find Chubs
Chubs can be fished at the Mountain Lake and also in the Cindersap forest river during every season in all types of weather(this does not include the forest pond in the Secret Woods or on the forest farm). Unlike most fish in the forest river, Chub cannot be fished in Pelican Town’s. However, Krobus’ shop does sell this fish in the Sewers for 200g sometimes on Wednesdays and it can also be randomly sold on a range of 150-1,000g at the Traveling Cart. Considering how easy this fish is to catch and how cheap it sells, buying it would not be recommended.
When fishing, you are gonna need a fishing rod. While the maximum upgrade of it is the Iridium Rod, you really don’t need more than a fiberglass rod or bamboo pole to catch a Chub as they don’t move much when attempting to catch them. Make sure to use bait or tackle like dressed spinners to increase the bite rate!
Tip: If you are struggling to catch fish, try practicing with the Training Rod sold at Willy’s shop for only 25g. This rod increases your fishing level and while you’re limited to catching more common fish, you are still able to catch the Chub. This even works with catching legendary fish! No bait or tackle required!
Some other fish at the Mountain Lake and Forest River include:
- Mountain Lake – Largemouth Bass, Bullhead, Carp, Rainbow Trout, Sturgeon, Walleye, Midnight Carp, Lingcod, Perch, Glacierfish
- Cindersap Forest River – Dorado, Sunfish, Catfish, Shad, Bream, Pike, Salmon, Tiger Trout, Walleye, Lingcod, Perch, Angler
|Image||Name||Sell Price||Sell Price|
The Community Center
You would think that Chubs would be used for the Fish Tank bundles but it surprisingly isn’t! It is actually used for the Field Research bundle for rebuilding the Bulletin Board. This bundle also calls for a frozen geode, purple mushroom and a nautilus shell. Completing this bundle will reward you with a recycling machine and one step closer to unlocking two hearts of friendship with every non-dateable villager.
Field Research Bundle
|Purple Mushroom||The Mines|
The Farm Cave
Forest Farm Map
Foraging in Fall
|Nautilus Shell||Winter Beach Foraging|
Beach Farm Map
Foraging during any season
Random gift from Demetrius
|Chub||Can be found in the mountain lake and|
river during all seasons, any time
|Frozen Geode||The Mines floors 41-79|
|Reward:||Recycling Machine (1)|
Chub’s can be given as a gift but it can only be at the highest a neutral one, only earning 20 friendship points.
|Neutral||Demetrius, Elliot, Leo, Linus, Pam, Sebastian, Willy|
|Dislike||Abigail, Alex, Caroline, Clint, Dwarf, Emily, George, Gus, Harvey, Jas, Jodi, Kent, Krobus, Leah, Lewis, Marnie, Maru, Penny, Robin, Sam, Sandy, Shane, Vincent, Wizard|
|Hate||Evelyn, Haley, Pierre|
When using the chub with the sewing machine at Emily and Haley’s house, it can be used to make the Fishing Vest. Just be sure to get some cloth and you’ll be looking like a true fisherman in no time!
|Maki Roll|| Any Fish (1)|
|The Queen of Sauce|
21 Summer, Year 1
Stardrop Saloon for 300g
|Quality Fertilizer|| Sap (2)|
Any Fish (1)
|Farming Level 9|
|Sashimi||Any Fish (1)||Linus (Mail 3+)|
When placed in a fish pond(this can be made with 200 stone, 5 seaweed and 5 green algae), Chubs will reproduce every 2 days. At first you can place 3 Chubs in the pond before completing any quests and this can be maxed out at 10 Chubs. Chubs are much easier to populate their ponds with as they don’t require very rare items for their quests like Sturgeon or Super Cucumbers. The only thing that these Chubs will produce is dark gray Chub roe that sells for 55g and 110g when aged in a preserves jar.
- Pond Capacity 3 Quest – Quest items could be 3 acorns, 10 bug meat, 3 maple seeds or 3 pine cones
- Pond Capacity 5 Quest – Quest items could be 3 gold ore, 1 maple syrup or 5 mixed seeds
- Pond Capacity 7 Quest – Quest items could be 1 crayfish, 1 honey, 2 jade or 1 periwinkle (periwinkle and crayfish can be caught using crab pots)
- Willy may request on the “Help Wanted” board in front of Pierre’s General Store for 1-4 Chubs paying 50g per fish. Thankfully you get to keep the fish! (Tip: You must deliver these fish to Willy himself. He can be found at his store on the ocean pier or in the Stardrop Saloon on Friday nights.)
- 2 Chubs can be requested by fish ponds filled with Dorado, Lingcod or Pike to increase the capacity from 3 to 5.