As many experienced players already know, fishing is one of the best and the most profitable skills you can have in Stardew Valley! If you’re still new or simply have some doubts about how to fish in Stardew Valley, you’re in the right place because this will guide you through the whole process of fishing.
Here is what you need to know about the fishing skill in Stardew Valley:
How to fish In Stardew Valley
No one was just born being good at fishing, and that counts for Stardew Valley too.
First things first, you will have to go down to the ocean or a river with the chosen fishing pole.
Basically, you will have to press the action button once you are in a good place for fishing and you will see that your character is trying to catch a fish! With that, a meter will appear. In simple terms, the fuller the bar is, the further you will throw the line. Seems fair enough so far, right?
There are different opinions, but most players agree that throwing the line further is better due to the ability to catch nicer fish.
Don’t worry, most players get a hit quite soon, it usually takes less than 10 seconds. Once you succeed, press the button again to catch the fish. This will start a small game where you will have to keep the bar behind the fish to catch it.
Once the game starts, the fish will move across the bar, and you can control this small green rectangle. Your main task is just to keep the fish in the green space. One thing, just don’t let the fish escape the green rectangle and you should be good!
Just be patient, not all players catch the fish on the first try. Sometimes the fish might try to trick you, but don’t worry, you will succeed.
If you have any more doubts or questions, feel free to take a look at and take notes from our Stardew Valley fishing guide!
Stardew Valley Fishing Poles
As you can guess, there are quite a few fishing poles you can use in the game.
Here are the fishing poles you will come across in Stardew Valley:
|Training Rod||25 gold coins||Buy it from Willy’s Fish Shop|
|Bamboo Pole||500 gold coins||Buy it from Willy’s Fish Shop|
|Fiberglass Pole||1800 gold coins||Buy it from Willy’s Fish Shop|
|Iridium Rod||7500 gold coins||Buy it from Willy’s Fish Shop|
Just keep in mind that the Fiberglass Rod and the Iridium Rod can only be bought once you reach a specific fishing skill level. Meaning, you will need level 2 for the Fiberglass and level 6 for the Iridium Rod. No worries, once you learn how to fish in Stardew Valley, your fishing will improve very fast. Do you want to make fishing even more interesting? You can get some Stardew fishing mods!
Stardew fishing Skill and Rewards
Once you start catching more now that you know how to fish in Stardew Valley, you will start to level up. There are quite a lot of notable items and recipes that you will receive along the way:
- Level 1 – You won’t get any recipes. However, you will get +1 Rod Proficiency
- Level 2 – Now you can buy and craft bait (you can also get bait from finishing fish bundles). You can also get the Fiberglass fishing pole from Willy. Just head down to the docks.
- Level 3 – Now you can build and buy crab pots
- Level 4 – Now you can craft the Recycling Machine. Meaning, this will help you to turn trash and glasses into better crafting materials in Stardew Valley
- Level 5 – Here you will have to choose between Fisher and Trapper Professions. This will be important for level 10.
- Level 6 – You can also buy the Iridum Fishing Rod from Willy at the Fish Shop. This will be a great purchase if you want to improve your fishing.
- Level 7 – This will allow you to buy and craft Cork Bobber and Treasure Hunter tackle. The tackle will help to prevent fish from escaping.
- Level 8 – Now you can craft Worn bins.
- Level 9 – Now you can craft or buy Magnet bait. Attach this to your fishing pole and increase the chance of finding treasure.
- Level 10 – Here you will have to choose between Angler and Pirate professions if you picked Fished before, Mariner and Luremaster professions if you picked Trapper before.
As you can see, fishing does add a lot to Stardew Valley! Just be patient and soon you will become the best fisher in town.