What’s the use of a Silo? Is it important to your gameplay? How can you build one? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this Stardew Valley Silo guide!
There are many buildings you can construct for your Stardew Valley farm, but this is one of the few that players might ignore. You might skip over it simply because it’s not as exciting as other structures. Players usually go for a Barn or Coop for their first building. While either is a good choice, it’ll be difficult to keep the animals fed without a Silo.
However, this tower is vital to your farm, especially if you’re raising — or planning to raise — animals. Some players may not even recognize its importance and only rush to build it once it’s needed.
What is a Silo?
The Silo is a type of farm building in Stardew Valley. It’s a tall, 3×3 structure used to store hay, which is an important material for feeding your farm animals. It’s necessary during the winter months, when you’ll need to store as much hay as you can to keep your chickens and cows happy and well-fed.
How to Build a Silo?
Like other farm buildings, you can buy it from Robin at the Carpenter’s Shop for 100g. It takes two days to build, but you’ll need the following materials first:
- 100 Stone. You can collect Stone by breaking rocks with a pickaxe.
- 10 Clay. You can easily find Clay when you’re preparing to plant seeds. Digging Artifact Spots using a Hoe may also yield some.
- 5 Copper Bar. You can make a Copper Bar by placing five copper ores and a single lump of coal in a furnace. Copper ore nodes are commonly found in the upper levels of The Mines.
Once you’ve collected these items, simply take them to Robin and pay. Have her build the structure at the far corners of the farm, so they’re easy to find yet won’t get in your way. Of course, you can still choose to build it where you think it looks best according to your farm’s layout and design.
How to Use a Silo?
Once you have this important building, you can use it to store up to 240 hay. You can’t harvest any without one. There are a number of ways you can collect this vital material:
- Marnie’s Ranch. Purchase it from her for 50g.
- Desert trader. Exchange 1 omni geode with 3 hay.
- By mail. Marnie may send you 30 hay.
- Cut grass. Collect hay by cutting grass using a normal scythe. This has a 50% chance of producing hay, but you have a 70% chance if you use a Golden Scythe.
- Cut wheat. This has a 40% chance of spawning hay.
All the feeds you collect using a scythe are automatically deposited into the tower. But if you receive it as a gift, hold it while right-clicking on the Silo to deposit it.
You can check the total amount of feed you have with a farm computer. Build it using a recipe that you can get when you complete any of Demetrius’ special orders (Aquatic Overpopulation). You’ll need:
- 1 dwarf gadget
- 1 battery pack
- 10 refined quartz
If you own multiples of this essential building, you can see the current storage and total capacity of all SIlos by interacting with them.
To feed the animals, just click on the hay hopper in your Barn or Coop, then place some of the feed in a feeding trough. A Deluxe Barn or Deluxe Coop comes with an automatic feeder, so you won’t need to fill the feeding trough manually.